Thursday, September 29, 2016

Carpe Diem - Off the Wall Friday

Story of the Day

As you all might know my day job is taking orders for the catalogs Appleseeds, Tog Shop and Draper's and Damon's.  I love my job because it gives me an excuse to play with fabric and colors all day and to talk to interesting women who the world might think are past their prime - but the world would be wrong.  My customers are interesting, smart, exasperating, opinionated . . . well they're women!
A week doesn't go by when I get the chance to talk to ladies who are over 98 - yes you read that right 98 and they to me are  the best of the best.  Here they've been alive for 100 years and they're still buying clothes because they have places to go and people to see!

Once such lady gave me a smile recently:

Me:  I'm sorry to say that that item is on back order for a month.  Would you like me to place it on your order and send it out to you when it gets here?

Her Ohhh,  no.  Don't do that!

Me:  Are you sure? It will go fast and be there before you know it.

Her:  Honey, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas. 

We laughed and laughed.

The reason, I bring this up because yes it reflects where I am in my life right now but also its the idea of living in the moment and seizing the day - Carpe Diem. There have been a lot of changes around here lately - new working hours, new working location, new routine.  I'm pretty bad with change (aren't we all?)   So I've gotten into a bit of a rut and its not a bad idea to take some advice from a lady who has been around a lot longer then me.

I'm not going to be buying green bananas waiting for them to ripen.  I'm going to see what fruit is good today!

So Hopefully you've been up to something more creative then me!!

4 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

You made me laugh! I love your attitude.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

My FIL introduced me to the green bananas line. Isn't a hoot? So, true. Although I can afford to let bananas ripen, like you I believe in embracing my life today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Great photos, especially the one of the 100 year old lighting her cigarette with her birthday candle.

Shannon said...

So fun to hear from some of your clients! Hope you get adjusted to your new routine soon!!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Love your story! Do you work from home?